The Jiří Myron Theatre
the Jiří Myron Theatre has belonged to the biggest theatre scenes in the Czech Republic.
In the last decade of the 19th century the Reader Committee Society for a construction of the National house was founded in Ostrava initiated by the Czech club. Its aim was to build a respectable place for Czech theatre performances in the centre of the city. In 1919 it became the second building of the National Theatre Moravian-Silesian, but since 1920 Czech theatre could be performed only in the City Theatre – nowadays the Antonín Dvořák Theatre – and the National house served to social purposes. In August 1980 an extensive reconstruction was launched, based on the designs of Ostrava´s architects Ivo Klimeš and Radim Ulmann.
Since its festive reopening on 28th April 1986 the Jiří Myron Theatre has belonged to the biggest theatre scenes in the Czech Republic. It is a home scene for operetta, drama and ballet companies of the National Moravian-Silesian Theatre and accommodates 623 seats for spectators.